BBC Asian Network will be bringing listeners the sixth International Indian Film Awards (IIFAs) from Amsterdam starting this weekend.
The glittering IIFA weekend attracts the biggest names from the world of Indian cinema, sport, government and business from the subcontinent and Europe. Starting on 9th June, the weekend culminates on 11th June with the glittering IIFA Awards presentation ceremony at the Amsterdam Arena, hosted by actor Shah Rukh Khan. The BBC Asian Network will be live in Amsterdam to report on all the action.
The three day event will witness the world premiere of the film Parineetha, a love story set in 1960’s Calcutta and a celebrity cricket match involving players from the Dutch and Indian film industry batting alongside cricketers from India, Sri Lanka and Holland. For the first time a special film festival will be held at the magnificent Path? Tuschinski Theatre.
The Drive programme will have extensive coverage throughout this glamorous event.
* On Wednesday June 8 Nikki Bedi sets the scene from Amsterdam and finds out just what it takes to put on a show like the IIFAs.
* On 9 June, Drive comes live from the foyer of the Pathe Tuschinski theatre where the great and good of Hindi cinema will be gathering for the world premiere of the film Parineeta. Nikki talks to the cast of the film, and catches up with the other famous names in town who’ll be at the premiere.
* There will be live updates and gossip from the cricket match on Friday 10 as top celebrities show off their cricketing skills against top professional cricketers.
There will be coverage elsewhere on the station too. Amongst the highlights are:
* On Saturday 11 June, Film Caf? comes from the Amsterdam Arena, whilst rehearsals get underway for the evenings award ceremony.
* Former India captain Mohammed Azharuddin, who is serving a life ban for match fixing, will be interviewed on Sanjeet on Saturday.
* Flamboyant duo Raj and Pablo will speak to the stars as they put the finishing touches to their acts and bringing all the latest information on the award ceremony.
* Throughout the ceremony there are will be news of the winners in all the language programmes.
* On Sunday morning Hot Breakfast will take a cool look back at the ceremony and there will be highlights of all the winners.