UK media regulator, Ofcom has rejected six Asian community radio licences.
BizAsiaLive.com understands that the following applicants were hoping to be granted five-year FM licences in today’s announcement.
– Akash Radio Leeds (Akash Radio Leeds Limited)
– Asian Air Radio (Asian Air Limited), Sparkhill, Sparkbrook, Small Heath, Bordesley Green, Moseley and Kings Heath in Birmingham
– Chak De FM (Chak De FM Limited), Birmingham and Sandwell
– Indus Radio (Indus Community Radio Limited), Birmingham and Sandwell
– Radio Central (Radio Central Limited), Birmingham
– Radio India (Radio India Limited), Metropolitan Borough of Dudley
As well as objection from rival commercial stations in the same areas, some of these applications were also rejected due to there being no suitable FM frequency available.
However, Ofcom did confirm today that it had awarded eight new UK community radio licences to non-Asian stations.