“Health is wealth” is an age-old but forever-relevant adage. Little can be achieved in life if your health is not robust and intact. But is physically well-being the only indicator of good health? The times we live in are not easy, what with a pandemic keeping us locked in for almost a year, apart from everything else going on in the world. In times like these, it’s imperative to take care of one’s mental health, manage one’s stress and mindfully look to cultivate positive thoughts and actions so as to then make a positive change in our lives.
This World Mental Health Day, take the pledge to be mindful of your own and your loved ones’ mental health. To aid you in calming your mind and centering you, Audible offers you a number of audiobooks and audio shows you can listen to and kick start your day with serenity or end your day at peace.
Take a look at a few of these titles below:
1. Zen: A Way of Living: A new Audible exclusive launch, in this series, spiritual guru Om Swami shares the essence of Zen Living, combining the various branches of Zen and its associated techniques, to help the listener master the Zen way of life. There are eight core episodes and four bonus ones covering meditative practices such as Zazen, wall-gazing and Osoji, among others to calm and center the mind. Whether you are searching for peace, want to attain Satori (instant realization), or merely wish to increase your competence and effectiveness, the Zen perspective to daily living has all the answers. The wisdom shared in the series is drawn from Om Swami’s personal experiences and rigorous practices. Members can listen to these episodes for free on Audible.
2. Happiness Decoded: This newly launched series narrated by Gurudev Sri Ravi Shankar, a humanitarian, spiritual leader, ambassador of peace and human values, and founder of the Art of Living Foundation, this series is based on Art of Living and its ‘Happiness Program’, which has inspired millions and transformed lives. This series brings you the opportunity to benefit from his wisdom which can then help you disentangle from the web of negative emotions, transforming them to create positive thoughts and sustain a joyful tomorrow. Listeners can access these episodes for free on Audible Suno and Audible.
3. What Do I Do? Mental Health and Me: This exclusive Audible Original is a deeply personal series offering listeners an honest and relatable insight into how some of the UK’s best-known celebrities have coped with mental health difficulties, ranging from OCD to insomnia, grief to addiction, and depression to anxiety. While sharing vital information on how to seek professional help, each episode concludes with an expert insight from renowned mental health professionals, Dr David Crepaz-Keay from the Mental Health Foundation and psychotherapist Owen O’Kane. . Audible members can listen to this series on Audible at no extra cost.
4. Think Like A Monk By Jay Shetty: Jay Shetty, social media superstar and host of the number one podcast ‘On Purpose’, distils the timeless wisdom he learnt as a practising monk into practical steps anyone can take every day, to live a less anxious, more meaningful life. Drawing on ancient wisdom and his own rich experiences in the ashram, Think Like a Monk reveals how to overcome negative thoughts and habits, and access the calm and purpose that lie within us. You can listen to this bestseller on Audible.
5. Are U OK? A Guide to Caring for Your Mental Health: From finding the best therapist to navigating harmful and toxic relationships, licensed marriage and family therapist, and YouTube sensation, Kati Morton, destigmatizes the struggles so many of us go through, encouraging listeners to reach out for help. What are the red flags of a mental health illness? How do you go about making a first therapy appointment? How do you know if your therapist is a good fit for you? What are the best ways of talking about mental health with your family, friends and colleagues? Are U OK? educates and reminds us that we can get through difficult times, with just a little help from our loved ones and trained professionals. You can listen to the book on Audible.
6. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: In this generation-defining self-help guide, a superstar blogger goes against convention to show us how to stop trying to be positive all the time so that we can truly become better, happier people. In his wildly popular Internet blog, Mark Manson doesn’t sugarcoat or equivocate. He tells it like it is – a dose of raw, refreshing, honest truth. Manson makes the argument, backed by both academic research and well-timed poop jokes that improving our lives hinges not on our ability to turn lemons into lemonade, but on learning to stomach lemons better. The book is Available on Audible.
7. Audible Sleep Collection: The podcast series has been created with a strong focus on scientifically-proven relaxation techniques that are popular the world over, and include classic bedtime stories, extended soundscapes, sound baths, meditation series and much more. They also feature some of the world’s most celebrated personalities such as Nick Jonas (The Perfect Swing), P Diddy (Honor Yourself), Tony Shalhoub (A Short Account of the History of Mathematics), Curtis Stone (Escoffier: The Complete Guide to the Art of Modern Cookery), and wellness experts like Sara Auster, and Gabby Bernstein. Members can access these new series for free at Audible.in/Sleep, where you can download them, set a sleep timer and cast to your connected devices for a hands-free listening experience.
8. Aapke Avchetan Mann ki Shakti: In this book, the author fuses his spiritual wisdom and scientific research to bring to light how the sub-conscious mind can be a major influence on our daily lives. The book opens a world of success, happiness, prosperity, and peace for you. It is one of the most brilliant and beloved spiritual self-help works of all time which can help you heal yourself, banish your fears, sleep better, enjoy better relationships and just feel happier. The techniques are simple and results come quickly. You can improve your relationships, your finances, and your physical well-being. You can listen to all episodes for free on Audible Suno and Audible.In
9. SentiMental: SentiMental is an eight-episode series from Audible Suno hosted by comedian Azeem Banatwalla and his wife, Sana Khan. The show combines candid discussions about mental health and humour with some of your favourite comedians, actors and musicians to normalise conversations around issues such as depression, anxiety, OCD, and bipolar disorder. SentiMental wants you to know that whatever it is that you’re going through, you’re not alone. You can listen to all episodes for free on Audible Suno and Audible.
10.Habits for Happiness: How do we get happy? Listen to a positive, step-by-step guide on the building blocks for personal happiness by Dr Tim Sharp (aka Dr Happy). Through ten daily habits, this series provides the learnings and practical strategies for creating a happier life. Dr Tim Sharp is a clinical and consulting psychologist with three degrees in psychology and a distinguished career over several decades. He’s Australia’s very own “Dr Happy” and the founder of The Happiness Institute. The 11 episodes are free for members on Audible.
11. Calm World: Introduction to Meditation: Meditation is everywhere: your mobile phone, clothing stores and even in colouring books. But where does it come from and what even is it? With the help of neuroscientist Ash Ranpura, comedian Alice Fraser explores the science, history and culture behind meditation. On the way we will meet the tiny part of the brain that triggers most of our fear and anxiety, the NBA coach who taught Michael Jordan how to meditate, and the writer who says the best way to cope with our polarised politics is to practice mindfulness. All 6 episodes are free for members on Audible.